White Water Gallery is developing a large-scale conference, the “Northern Conference for the Arts: Dream Big” (Dream Big), which is currently scheduled to take place in North Bay, Ontario from May 27th – 30th, 2015.
Zakide views this event as a great launch point for our artistic activities beyond our existing projects and as a venue for conversations about the future of Aboriginal art in our region; an opportunity for us to find ways of moving forward collaboratively. Unlike many conferences with token “Aboriginal Components”, Zakide will function independent of the conference and interlace Aboriginal programming throughout the entire event. We have already scheduled concerts, panels, keynote addresses and art exhibitions to take place during the conference allowing us to present our voice to our own audience as well as our peers from across the province who will be in attendance.
The content from Zakide artists will be exciting, relevant and educational to the entire audience while also providing insight on where Zakide should be moving next and furthering our conversation on contemporary Aboriginal art.
- RED RIDE TOUR featuring Cris Derksen, Kristi Lane Sinclair, Binaeshee-Quae, and Derek Miller (Musical Performance)
- Kent Monkman (Keynote Address)
- Lee Maracle (Keynote Address)
- Dayna Danger (Media Art Exhibition)
- Aanmitaagzi (Community Arts Performance)
- Kenneth J. (Jake) Chakasim, Jules Koostachin, Christian Chapman, Rebeka Tabobondung, Tanya Lukin Linklater, Alejandro Ronceria, Maurice Switzer, Michael Cywink, Sid Bobb, and Penny Couchie (Panel Discussions)